Return to LanScape's home page Go back a page...       Active TopicsActive Topics   Display List of Forum MembersMember List   Knowledge Base SearchSearch   HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Pre-Sales Technical Support
 LanScape Support Forum -> LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Pre-Sales Technical Support
Subject Topic: VOIP Media Engine requirements Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
Guy Swartwood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: March 25 2009 at 3:28pm | IP Logged Quote Guy Swartwood

After looking at the documentation and the web page, I cannot find any system requirements other than must run on WIndows XP, Vista, etc.

Is there any other hardware requirements?
Does a soundcard required if using the record call or playback wav to far end features are used?

We are planning on deploying on virtual machines (VMWare and/or Microsoft), is there a problem with that?
Back to Top View Guy Swartwood's Profile Search for other posts by Guy Swartwood

Guy Swartwood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: March 25 2009 at 4:27pm | IP Logged Quote Guy Swartwood

Background for the question above. I am trying to test your SDK several ways that include placing compiled managed code on a MS MV (virual pc 2007). I haven't had much success. My main development box (WinXP, VS2008) can compile (using .NET 2.0, not 3.5) and successfully run your samples (for example your COnference Server sample). WHen I ported the compiled code to my VM (no VS2008 but has .NET2.0/3.5), I cannot get it to work. It errors out immediately when I run the executable. I check the windows event log and I see:
EventType clr20r3 conferenceserver.exe system.io.filenotfoundexception.

I made sure the main dll and the managed code DLL was in the same directory as the compiled conferenceserver.exe.

So, my next step was to install the trial on another VM that has VS2005 on it. I opened the VS2005 version of the Conference Server sample on it. It compiles fine but when I run it, I get:

Could not load file or assembly 'LMEVoipManaged, Version=6.0.3366.34787, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null' or one of its dependencies. This application has failed to start because the application configuration is incorrect. Reinstalling the application may fix this problem. (Exception from HRESULT: 0x800736B1). Again I made sure that the references in the project was good and the two dlls are in the debug directory.

Any suggestions from your technical team?
Back to Top View Guy Swartwood's Profile Search for other posts by Guy Swartwood

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: March 25 2009 at 5:03pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Guy,

Please excuse the delay in this response… it is very busy here.

<<< You
After looking at the documentation and the web page, I cannot find any system requirements other than must run on Windows XP, Vista, etc.

Is there any other hardware requirements?

Support >>>
There are no specific hardware requirements. As long as the operating system is Windows 2000 or higher (2000, XP, 2003, 2008 etc) you will be OK and your VOIP apps built using the VOIP Media Engine will run fine.

Support for Windows 9x and NT4 OSes has been dropped.

<<< You
Does a soundcard required if using the record call or playback wav to far end features are used?

Support >>>
The media engine does not need a sound card.

In general:
No sound card is required by the media engine unless you want the media engine to be able to use recorded local audio and be able to play back audio on the multimedia hardware (like for a soft phone app).

For the typical IVR server app, no sound card use is perfect. All the media engine capabilities (like phone line recording) will function as expected.

<<< You
We are planning on deploying on virtual machines (VMWare and/or Microsoft), is there a problem with that?

Support >>>
Not that we are aware of. We use the media engine all the time in VmWare workstation virtual machines. Have not tried running the media engine in the Microsoft VM but I cannot think of a single reason why should not work as expected. If the OS runs on the underlying hardware or virtual machine, the media engine will perform as expected.

<<< You
… When I ported the compiled code to my VM (no VS2008 but has .NET2.0/3.5), I cannot get it to work. It errors out immediately when I run the executable. I check the windows event log and I see:
EventType clr20r3 conferenceserver.exe system.io.filenotfoundexception.

Support >>>
For the .NET framework, all “system.io.filenotfoundexception” errors generally mean that a needed assembly or library could not be found on the host machine.

When you use and execute the managed code wrapper of the media engine with your app (LMEVoipManaged.dll), make sure the latest visual C++ libraries are also installed on the host machine. Here is a post that talks about this:

Distributing Release 6 .NET VOIP applications:
http://www.lanscapecorp.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=546&PN =2

If you install the VS2008 SP1 update to your host machine that is “throwing up a hairball”, all should be OK.

Repost if this does not resolve the issue.

You have posted good questions.

Thanks for your post,

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

Guy Swartwood
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: March 25 2009 at 5:33pm | IP Logged Quote Guy Swartwood

That post fixed it.

After reading your response, I looked at the your .net reference manual and redistributing LanScape VOIP Media Engine guide. I didn't see a reference to needing to install the VC++ 2008 sp1 redistributable in them. I would suggest that you make the forum post a sticky and put it in your documentation.

If it is there and I missed it, my apologies.

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: March 25 2009 at 6:37pm | IP Logged Quote support

Great!

We have made a note of your suggestion. The additional information will be added to the next release - In the "redistribution document".

Randal
Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: March 28 2009 at 10:20am | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Guy,

We have updated the media engine's redistribution docs to include a paragraph that explains other possible library dependencies when deploying the media engine. Hopefully this will do the trick.

Randal

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version