Return to LanScape's home page Go back a page...       Active TopicsActive Topics   Display List of Forum MembersMember List   Knowledge Base SearchSearch   HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

SIP Proxy and Media Proxy - Pre-Sales Technical Support
 LanScape Support Forum -> SIP Proxy and Media Proxy - Pre-Sales Technical Support
Subject Topic: Standard Nat Configuration Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
ewsga
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: December 01 2009 at 1:10pm | IP Logged Quote ewsga

Could you give me a brief overview of
how to use with an existing Asterisk installation? My setup would be a
private NATed network.

Router: 10.0.0.1
Centrex & Media Server: 10.0.0.10
Asterisk: 10.0.0.5

Endpoints are both on the local LAN and on external NATed LANs. I would want the local endpoints to register like they do now directly to asterisk and the external endpoints to connect via port forwards to the Lanscape software and register also with Asterisk.

Basically, if it is possible and makes sense to do so, I want to leave my existing configuration intact but use the Centrex and Media Server modules for solving SIP NAT Traversal issues.

I have the port forwards set up and I can make remote endpoints register with Centrex. What i don't understand how to do from the documentation and support forums is setting up the proxying of information from Centrex to Asterisk. Do I add username/passwords into the Centrex Register and if not how do I configure Centrex to pass registrations to Asterisk?

I've read in the forums talk about white papers and example configurations. It seems this case would be quite the ordinary situation. Is there already
a document that outlines this type of setup?
Back to Top View ewsga's Profile Search for other posts by ewsga

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: December 02 2009 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hello Micah,

Yes you can use our centrex and media proxies to do exactly what you want but you will have to add the extra functionality using the plug-in DLL capability of the LS Centrex SIP proxy.

For example, the SIP REGISTER requests will have to be reflected by the centrex SIP proxy using a plug-in to your Asterisk box for phones that are outside of your private network.

We do have other customer installs that use our centrex and media proxies as the VOIP “front end” to the customer’s legacy IP based PBX systems. Their installs function similar to what you describe. Its a simple matter of proper SIP message handling and possible SIP message mods by the centrex plug-in.

Other Asterisk users have asked us for similar capability that you are requesting. Maybe its time we put together a complete canned solution that comes with a ready made plug-in DLL for this specific scenario.

Either you can code your own C/C++ plug-in DLL from the sample that comes with the centrex SIP proxy (with our assistance) or we could do it.

Before we get any further, is this deployment you speak of a single deployment or are you planning on deploying many such VOIP configurations?

Thank you,

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

ewsga
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: December 02 2009 at 3:23pm | IP Logged Quote ewsga

Randal,

It is just this single asterisk installation. We are installing the Cyberdata Intercoms (similar to their speakers that I've seen you have tested in an earlier post) at our customer locations and we are experiencing NAT translation problems (one way audio, no audio, etc.).

Micah
Back to Top View ewsga's Profile Search for other posts by ewsga

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: December 22 2009 at 11:15am | IP Logged Quote support

Hello Micah,

Some additional thoughts:
I looked through our historical product/customer requests logs because I know we have received an adequate number of requests to do exactly what you want to accomplish. There is an opportunity here…

Instead of using my LS proxy products to do what you want, our VOIP Media Engine product could be used. We would have to develop a quick “proxy like” or B2B VOIP app using the media engine, but it would do everything we need. The SIP/RTP inter-op between the media engine and Asterisk is already a proven “win” for us so all the difficult work is done from the VOIP standpoint.

The app could be a simple Win32 console app or a windows service. It also would be good to have an embedded web server configuration capability for the new app.

I wonder if our two companies should collaborate on this effort… Hmmm… interesting.

I am interested in co-development (shared development) between our companies and to offer the end result as a viable product via LanScape web site. I look forward to your response. Thanks for reading…

Have a very Happy Holiday,

Randal

Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version