Return to LanScape's home page Go back a page...       Active TopicsActive Topics   Display List of Forum MembersMember List   Knowledge Base SearchSearch   HelpHelp  RegisterRegister  LoginLogin

LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Pre-Sales Technical Support
 LanScape Support Forum -> LanScape VOIP Media Engine™ - Pre-Sales Technical Support
Subject Topic: Installer question Post ReplyPost New Topic
Author
Message << Prev Topic | Next Topic >>
gcamp0730
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: August 16 2006 at 9:40am | IP Logged Quote gcamp0730

Hello,

I am preparing a sample install app to test deployment of our application and the Media Engine. I have read the redistribution guide and believe I have created the LsAutomation.dll as required. Running RedistSetup.exe works fine when run from the command-line on a machine.

However, our network staff typically deploys applications using Active Directory; the end-users do not have permissions to install apps. Applications are installed immediately after a reboot, before the logon screen is displayed.

I saw in the docs that a "silent install" is not supported. Does that mean that installation via Active Directory, the way I described above, is not supported?

Thanks,
Greg
Back to Top View gcamp0730's Profile Search for other posts by gcamp0730

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: August 16 2006 at 12:29pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Greg,

We are looking into this. Hang on.

Support
Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

gcamp0730
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: August 16 2006 at 12:54pm | IP Logged Quote gcamp0730

One other issue related to redistribution just appeared. As I mentioned in my first post, the normal users do not have access to install applications. So I could continue testing, I installed the Media Engine under the Administrator account.

However, when I logged in as the normal user and tried to run my app I received an error box stating that the license was invalid. I was able to run the application as the Administrator without any problem.

Any ideas?

Thanks,
Greg

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: August 16 2006 at 7:11pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Greg,

Sorry for the delay. It’s busy here today. Here is additional info regarding your postings:

Silent Install:
You are correct. Up to this point we only have offered attended installs for the redistribution image. We are not “Active Directory” gurus here so we would have to assume that the install cannot be done the way you want.

This does not mean that we can not make available a silent redistribution installer. We will have to make a few changes to the current redistribution install image. If you are intending to make a VOIP Media Engine purchase, we can get this going pretty quick. If you are not sure if you will be making a product purchase, then we will not bother right now.

Installing as Admin for all users:
BUG: This one is our fault. The current installer image (both Developer and Redistribution versions) should give the user a chance to specify “Install for current user only” or “Install for all users”. We see that it does not. We have made the appropriate installer changes. We will verify the new install image tomorrow. For some reason this functionality was removed. Now when you install either the developer version or the redistribution version, you can log on as Admin and install the software for all users.

Let us know if you plan on purchasing the media engine so we can put together the silent install. We will get another trial image ready for you as soon as we can.

Thanks for identifying that installer bug!

Support
Back to Top View support's Profile Search for other posts by support Visit support's Homepage

gcamp0730
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: August 17 2006 at 9:42am | IP Logged Quote gcamp0730

As always, many thanks for the quick and detailed responses!

Silent Install:
I am going to submit an interal purchase order so I can get a 2-line license approved for purchase. (By the way, I did not see a 2-line new purchase on your store, just a 2-line upgrade.)

Installing as Admin:
I thought it might be something along those lines. :)

Let me know when a new trial image that addresses the install for all users is ready to test.

Thanks!
Greg

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: August 17 2006 at 11:07am | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Greg,

Ok. We will send this “installer change request” over to the developers. As soon as it’s ready, we will post back to this thread.

See the following link to view current media engine prices in the web store:

LanScape VOIP Media Engine Prices - Online Store

A few questions we need to pass along to our developers – answer if you can:

1)
When using “Active Directory” to deploy software to many machines in the organization using a silent install, we assume you can specify that a Windows installer file be executed via a command line specification. Something like:

Msiexec.exe /i RedistSetup.msi /q LS_INSTALL_TYPE=some_value

Is this correct?

2)
Do you use AD to also uninstall product images?

3)
How are product upgrades typically handled?

Support

gcamp0730
Intermediate
Intermediate

Posted: August 21 2006 at 12:07pm | IP Logged Quote gcamp0730

1) I asked our network admin to show me how packages are deployed. There wasn't a command line; you just select the .msi file to install. If you need to pass parameters, you have to create a "transformation" file (.mst). He wasn't familiar with that process; he said we don't use .mst files with any of our current software packages.

2) Yes.

3) The previous package is uninstalled and the new package is installed. Active Directory maintains a list of which packages are upgrades, etc.

Thanks,
Greg

P.S. Just placed an order for the 2-line Media Engine. :)

support
Administrator
Administrator

Posted: August 21 2006 at 6:22pm | IP Logged Quote support

Hi Greg,

Thanks for the additional feedback.

We have been “boning up” a bit regarding Active Directory deployment and see that it is a pretty cool technology.

The developers have completed testing of an updated redistribution package that should work for what we want to do. We do not have a domain controller set up here yet that we can test with but as far as the Active Directory docs claim; any MSI installer image that can run in quiet mode should be OK.

We have tested the updated redistribution image on Windows 9X, NT, 2000 and XP. Installing/uninstalling it using the GUI mode and also from command lines using the /q “QUIET” mode.

Basically what we have is this:

To install the redistribution image, your installer can execute the following command line:

msiexec.exe /i RedistSetup.msi /q

To uninstall the redistribution image, you installer can execute this command line:

msiexec.exe /x RedistSetup.msi /q

This is the simplest command line that can be used for unattended install/uninstall. We make the assumption that Active directory will allow client machines to perform these same command lines when either installing or uninstalling the product from the domain.

Thank you. We have received your company’s order. We will process the order shortly. All the changes that we have implemented on your behalf will be included in the latest product image.

We will email you with product download info shortly.

Thanks Greg!

Support

If you wish to post a reply to this topic you must first login
If you are not already registered you must first register

Post ReplyPost New Topic
Printable version Printable version